Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tastes Like Turkey!

my time is nearing an end in this jewel of a place.

I have just left my rooftop breakfast and çay (turkish tea)

yesterday was spent milling about around the city. I had to buy some proper clothing as i had nothing to wear because everything i owned had been muddied by the festival. I left my laundry at the desk and it has returned to me today clean and folded….way…. SO WAY!

I bought some turkish tablecloths and made some clothing out of them… very fashionista! I had coffee on the rocks…literally… on these enormous rocks jettisoning from the Mediterranean sea, a cafe makes its home. You can sit and have drinks and some bread with tomatoes … cheese and cukes and sun or swim or just chat and watch the boats go by. today my power puff possie, reppin australia,brazil, manchester and the FLA are planning to head back to our “rockin” cafe and do some swimming… drinking and chillin with the owner, Omar. It is absolutely the most wonderful place and watching the med sparkle like a million diamonds is insane. We are then off to a 15th century turkish bath that includes being totally scrubbed,oiled,rubbed and saunaed. I am looking forward to this immensely. I also want to work a tour of athena and apollo´s temples. there are so many things to see and so little time but i am thankful for what i have been able to take in. Another amazing experience is walking through the city and several times a day the most elegant prayers are sung from a loud speaker echoing throughout the city streets. It indicates it is time to pray. I feels so ancient and I like to close my eyes and just let it resonate through my brain. i took a video of the old town gate and the prayer song… it was stunning. Turkey is so diverse and truly democratic. It is a muslim country that maintains it’s separation of church and state and people live in peace with their differences. You can pray; not pray, drink, not drink, wear head covering or not. Shopping is a social experience. I end up at the end of the day drinking my body weight in tea and learning so much about different people and their cultures and extending my global family profoundly. I would love to come here often!!! it is simply breathtaking and full of the most wonderful people, food, culture, visual treasures and surprises.

i have taken 2000 photos so far and i am so anxious to share them…

I know as well that after faring the festival and all it brought us in challenges, that i am a bad ass mutha!

No comments: